Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Come in Tokyo!

Got a new wireless headset for my cell phone yesterday. I've resisted buying one in the past, mostly because the sort of people who feel comfortable wearing them also feel comfortable at Star Trek conventions and Dungeons and Dragons tournaments.

I won't use the "N" word, but you know who I mean. No, not that "N" word, dummy ... Nerd. There, you forced me to use the word, after all.

Anyway, I'm still not comfortable talking on my cell phone while in public. So I'm really not comfortable tooling around town with a little Bluetooth gizmo hanging out of my left ear.

But since I started my new job working out of the home office, it's important that I'm available for incoming calls. And much of the time, those calls turn into interviews which require me to have my hands free to type while talking.

Hence, my purchase of the Official Lt. Ohura Ear Gizmo.

Will it improve my life, the way the lady at the phone store said it would? After wasting two hours trying to get the damnable thing up and running, it seems unlikely.

It turns out there's quite a bit of button pushing, fine tuning and battery charging to be done before you can even turn the thing on. And once it is working, it does so in only the loosest possible interpretation of that word.

My first (and only) call was to my daughter. It went a little like this

ME: Hey, kiddo! How's it going?
D: What? No, it's not snowing. Who is this?
M: It's me, dad.
D: Mad? At who? What?
M: (shouting) No! It's me! Dad!
D: What? I can hardly hear you.
M: (screaming and turning an alarming shade of blue) I'm trying to get my new headset thing to work.
D: I don't think so. Maybe on Tuesday.
M: Tuesday? What are you talking about?
D: No, you know I don't like trout. What?
M: What?
D: What?
M: What?
D: What?

And so on for about ten minutes. Finally I gave up, unplugged headset and finished up the conversation in a more or less normal manner.

According to the lady at the phone store, this headset is the last word in cell phone headset technology. If so, the previous word must have been transmitted between two tin cans via a piece of taut string.

1 comment:

ms. meshuga said...

It's funny, I couldn't hear you but I could SEE the shade of blue you were turning!