Friday, October 06, 2006

Life Without Mark

Tonight's the band's first gig without Brother Mark.

Mark and I have been playing together in the same band - The Guinness Brothers - for about six years, I think. Before that, Mark and I worked together in various bands for 15 years or so. So we've been sharing a stage for 20 years, at the very least.

And tonight, at Harvard Tavern, for the first time, I'll be flying solo.

Oh, the rest of the band will be there, sure ... but not Mark. And it's gonna be wired. I'll miss his playing, of course, and his vocal work. But more importantly, I'll miss - I miss already - all the "business stuff" Mark took care of.

He booked the band, he handled disgruntled bar owners, he haggled with managers trying to stiff us, he took care of payroll, taxes ... all the hassle stuff. All I had to do was show up and play. From here on out, I'll be doing it all.

Mark told me he's retiring from the band because he's getting too old to rock and roll. I'm not sure I believe that, but I've been wrong before.

Whatever his reasons, he's going to be missed.

No comments: